WEEK 5: Smears and Distortion

 In week 5 we were asked to play around with some key principles in animation in a sequence. Most of said principles were related to movement and a type of 'scene'. 

The ones listed were:

  • A Smear/Streak effect
  • The anticipation of reaction
  • Use of perspective
  • A boiling loop
  • Interactions with 'invisible' environments
  • Marks appearing and disappearing in interesting ways
The brief asked for a sequence based around shapes/marks and I thought the best way to do that was syncing it up to music. To make it more free moving as well I did not map out the entire animation before going in and rather just did some straight ahead action animation. The track I chose was Offenbach's Can Can. The animation is linked below, although it did appear in my showreel I kept the audio off to keep it cohesive with the rest of the videos. This one has the original timed audio which fits better so the animation makes more sense.


I feel like I succeeded in using some of the tasks set out but I would like to implement it on a real object in the future. Although 'smearing' a blob is easy when you have a real objet with real lines it's a lot harder to break it down into something that still looks okay when played through. I suspect practice will make this easier and hopefully I will be able to achieve something like that in my final project. 


Comments